Sunday, September 14, 2008

Its all good!

For quite some time, I have been considering buying a 3 wheeled bicycle for myself. I still want to ride, but my daughter took my 2 wheeler. Of course, I never was very good at riding it anyway (lets just say that BALANCE is not one of my strong points!). But I didn't want to buy anything NEW. I wanted to find a USED bike because:

1. I don't know how often I will get to ride it
2. I don't want to spend a ton of money and
3. I have learned from a year of following the "No Impact Man" expirement/blog that buying used stuff is better for the environmet. (Buying used means NO resources are consumed to create something. Its as "green" as you can be!)

So, I have been searching on CraigsList for a 3 wheeler for a grown up. Lo and behold....I found one! OK - I found it several days ago and just today got the courage to call the contact number. The nicest person called me back!

Tonight my husband and I took a drive through the country to her horse farm for handicapped kids. I figured from her add that she might have 4 or 5 bikes to choose from, so I was considering myself really lucky. Boy were we in for a surprise.....she probably had FIFTY of them to choose from! It turns out they were all donated to her to sell as a fund raiser for her kids.

I found a really heavy duty bike with a basket in back and the most comfortable seat I have ever parked my rear on. I got it for a fraction of what it would have cost new, the money went for a great cause and no harm was done to the environment. So you see....Its All Good!!!

Now...if I can only manage to not hurt myself......hmmmmm....does anyone know where I can find a used bike helmet and a roll of bubble wrap?!

No comments:

About Me

My photo
My name is Barbara. I am the mother of 2 teenagers and 5 small dogs. Trust me - the 5 dogs are WAY easier than the 2 teenagers!