Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Today was my first day back to work after 10 days vacation. Right before I left, we had a MAJOR flood at work (water main break - nasty!). I came back to an office in turmoil, which is not good when you are a "compulsive neat" like me! All of my stuff was gone and someone elses stuff was in boxes in my office. My computer was on a shelf and 2/3 of my desk had been emptied out. Whoever packed my desk for me got a little carried away. They packed away my beeper, my calculator and every writing implement I had. Without those basic tools, you might as well use me as a door stop because that's about all I am good for!

I found not knowing where or how I was going to work was very unsettling. It made me really anxious. I didn't even know where the contents of my office went. I eventually found the boxes my stuff was in (HUGE relief!). But as I was searching, I spent some time thinking about what I felt to be the most important things I needed to find. It turns out, my needs were pretty simple: my fan (no menopausal woman can live without her fan), my beeper and the picture of my sister that I keep on my desk. Even after I found the boxes, I really only needed the stuff that was in one or two of them.

I think there is a message in all of this somewhere. But at the moment that message isn't coming to me. I just have this feeling like there is something really important that I am supposed to learn from this experience. I guess I will just have to wait until its the right time for me to figure it out. But.... I so HATE waiting....so if any one out there can see the message clearly, would you please let me know?!

1 comment:

Madawyh said...

You should check out Voluntary Simplicity - it's a really neat blog about the less is more in life idea - www.voluntarysimplicity.com

or you can find the link on my blog!

About Me

My photo
My name is Barbara. I am the mother of 2 teenagers and 5 small dogs. Trust me - the 5 dogs are WAY easier than the 2 teenagers!